Tuesday, March 9, 2010

taking the bun off the hot dog?

Before Jackson was born, we had planned for him to be circumcised. However, due to his prematurity and also due to his low platelet count, the doctors wouldn't do it at that time. So when he was about 3 months old, I called a pediatric urologist who informed me that he wouldn't do the circ until Jack was 1 yr old.

Since that time, Josh and I have been dead-locked about what to do. While I originally did want him to be circ'ed, I didn't think I was going to have to take my toddler in to have it done. When I think of how they act with a simple immunization at this age, I can't imagine how he's going to react to...uhh...having the bun taken off the hot dog, so to speak. I'm just afraid of his level of pain during the procedure, after the it's over and during the recovery.

Needless to say, Josh is thinking of it like any man would. Here are some of his favorite arguments....
  • All the girls will run away screaming when they see he has an "elephant trunk".
  • The guys in the locker room will give him shit about it.
  • I don't want him to be different.

Now, these arguments would be fine, if we were discussing having it done at his birth. But we're talking about a whole different ball game (excuse the pun). And because circ-ing is such a hot topic these days, I honestly don't think he will be the only one on the football team that isn't snipped. But, I guess I really just don't know. Josh says I'm being too soft and he'll be fine. I just don't know.

So I'm wondering...what would you do in this situation? Just suck it up and take him, or leave him alone?

3 comments:

Danifred said...

That's a hard one for me, maybe because I don't have a boy? While I'd say just leave it alone, I know that my husband would say the complete opposite. As a man/ guy/ male I think I'd have to let my husband's opinion carry more weight since he knows what it would REALLY be like for him down the road. But, that's just me.

maresi said...

We didn't get my son circ'd. There just didn't seem like any good reason to do it. And, like you, I can't imagine taking a toddler in for that. Ay yi yi! (At the risk of revealing too much about my husband, you can tell yours that I haven't run away screaming yet.)

Aubrey said...

I had friend in high school that didn't have it done as a child and decided to get it done because of how bad the harassment was at school. He was in a lot of pain (he was told that it was more so than what he would have experienced as a child) I can't believe the doc didn't do it at 3 months. That's when Ty had his for the same reasons he didn't have it at birth. Weird. I would do it. It might be hard for you but I KNOW he won't remember it and that's always a big factor for me and what got me through a lot with my son.