Thursday, January 28, 2010

what is family?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. To me, family is not just (or sometimes not EVEN) the people that you have a blood (or marital) relationship with. Some of the people that Josh and I consider family, aren't even related to us. But, they treat us better than some of the people in our actual family tree do.

I guess to me, family is there for you when you need them. They support you, love you and hug you when things are tough. But even more than that...they will tell you when you are acting like an ass hole. They might talk about you behind your back, but mostly it's because they love you and are genuinely concerned for you. They are the people who will be hurt when you exclude them from an important day or event in your life. They want to stand with you even when they also stand against what you are doing. Family, to me, is the people you want with you on your worst day and on your best day and they are the people who want the same for you.

So my question is, what is it that makes you think of someone as "family"? Is your "family" made up of mostly your actual relatives or is it made of more friends than anything else?

3 comments:

Danifred said...

I think family is whoever you decide they are. Some of my favorite "family" members are those I've chosen.

andrea said...

pretty much exactly what you said. family is the people in your live that you can count on no matter what, even if you only see them once a year.
we have lots of people who are family to us that aren't related - adn i would have it no other way!

Tricia said...

I agree too! Anyone who would do everything you said for you. While I do consider *MOST* of my actual family to be in that category, not everyone falls in that category. I also have friends who would do ANYTHING for us, and we feel the same way towards them.