I would give this movie 2 out of 4 stars (I'm pretty sure they use a 4 star system). Here are my notes.
- First of all, it starts out really weird. And for about 15 minutes we both had this "huh?" look on our faces. I just kept waiting for something to be explained or for something to happen that I understood. Then even when I did realize what was going on, Josh didn't because he doesn't watch the news like I do so he hadn't heard about the people that were trying to recreate the "big bang theory". <---that's not a spoiler. I'm just saving you a lot of "huh?" moments in the theater.
- Also, I had a bit of a problem with the swearing and the "God Damn" in the Sistine Chapel and lots of the other churches. Not because I've never said it myself, but because of where they were and who they were. I felt it was a little unrealistic for these supposedly religious men to be swearing to God so superfluously in church. And also, I just personally think it's disrespectful and unnecessary.
- I'm not entirely sure if the acting was just not that great, or if it was supposed to be that way. But honestly it seemed a little bit like an episode of Law and Order from the '90's. You know, where you're trying to figure out if that person is "the guy" or they just need some acting classes. Josh thought maybe that's the way they wanted it, so you never know who's "the guy". I really am undecided on it though.
- The premise was decent and exciting, though not as exciting as The Da Vinci Code. It did keep me wondering and interested. I was surprised (mostly) at the end, which is always good. And we did manage to stay awake through the whole thing (still not sure how that happened).
- It was really gruesome. I mean REALLY gruesome. There was more than one occasion that I actually said out loud "was that necessary"(don't worry, I whispered. I'm not one of "those people"). I'm sure that it won't bother some people, but to me it felt to be a little bit too much. I mean, I guess it was "necessary" to the plot line, but it doesn't make it any less disgusting.
- *******************SPOILER ALERT********************So the big thing that left us both saying out loud "yeah right!" was the ending. I mean, please. The guy flies the bomb into the sky and parachutes down. Then he's thrown around against buildings and statues and knocked unconscious. There he is on the ground when his eyes pop open and he just jumps up and starts walking around like nothing happened. PAH-LEEZE. I get that what they were trying to do was show that God was protecting him, but.......well, I won't give you the ending or tell you who's "the guy" just in case someone reads this accidentally. ;-) But if you really want to know the end of that sentence, I will tell you in a private message or email.