Wednesday, May 27, 2009

review of "angels and demons"

On Friday night, we went to dinner and a movie for my birthday. We had been wanting to see Angels and Demons because we really liked The Da Vinci Code, so we decided to see it. Though after working ALL DAY LONG we didn't get there until the 10:30 show. Which, for us is really late. I know how pathetic that sounds, but seriously, Josh works his butt off and so do I taking care of 3 kids under age 5. So we're lucky to stay awake until 10:00. So getting home at 1:30, was a bit late for us and we were hoping it would be worth it. If you are still planning on seeing it, there may be spoilers in this, though I will mark the big one with *******.

I would give this movie 2 out of 4 stars (I'm pretty sure they use a 4 star system). Here are my notes.

  1. First of all, it starts out really weird. And for about 15 minutes we both had this "huh?" look on our faces. I just kept waiting for something to be explained or for something to happen that I understood. Then even when I did realize what was going on, Josh didn't because he doesn't watch the news like I do so he hadn't heard about the people that were trying to recreate the "big bang theory". <---that's not a spoiler. I'm just saving you a lot of "huh?" moments in the theater.
  2. Also, I had a bit of a problem with the swearing and the "God Damn" in the Sistine Chapel and lots of the other churches. Not because I've never said it myself, but because of where they were and who they were. I felt it was a little unrealistic for these supposedly religious men to be swearing to God so superfluously in church. And also, I just personally think it's disrespectful and unnecessary.
  3. I'm not entirely sure if the acting was just not that great, or if it was supposed to be that way. But honestly it seemed a little bit like an episode of Law and Order from the '90's. You know, where you're trying to figure out if that person is "the guy" or they just need some acting classes. Josh thought maybe that's the way they wanted it, so you never know who's "the guy". I really am undecided on it though.
  4. The premise was decent and exciting, though not as exciting as The Da Vinci Code. It did keep me wondering and interested. I was surprised (mostly) at the end, which is always good. And we did manage to stay awake through the whole thing (still not sure how that happened).
  5. It was really gruesome. I mean REALLY gruesome. There was more than one occasion that I actually said out loud "was that necessary"(don't worry, I whispered. I'm not one of "those people"). I'm sure that it won't bother some people, but to me it felt to be a little bit too much. I mean, I guess it was "necessary" to the plot line, but it doesn't make it any less disgusting.
  6. *******************SPOILER ALERT********************So the big thing that left us both saying out loud "yeah right!" was the ending. I mean, please. The guy flies the bomb into the sky and parachutes down. Then he's thrown around against buildings and statues and knocked unconscious. There he is on the ground when his eyes pop open and he just jumps up and starts walking around like nothing happened. PAH-LEEZE. I get that what they were trying to do was show that God was protecting him, but.......well, I won't give you the ending or tell you who's "the guy" just in case someone reads this accidentally. ;-) But if you really want to know the end of that sentence, I will tell you in a private message or email.

4 comments:

Tricia said...

Oh my gosh, Joe and I loved the movie. We thought it was so much more true to the book than Da Vinci Code. We actually hated The Da Vinci Code movie because it differs so much from the book!

We also liked that it was constantly going, as opposed to lots of background information. Isn't it funny how people see things so differently.

I do, however, feel that it was really gruesome also. I was surprised even though I knew what to expect from the book. If you have the time (I know, like your kids give you time to read HAHA) it is a very good book, as is Da Vinci Code.

renee said...

I did feel that the da vinci code was not exactly like the book. but not nearly enough to really bother me. and i'm just not someone who minds the background info. josh sometimes doesnt like it, if it gets to be way too much and it gets boring. but we didnt really feel that way about the da vinci code. the way i know if a movie is exciting is if josh can stay interested, b/c it takes A LOT for him to stay interested in a movie. lol.

i totally agree though. everyone sees things differently, esp movies/shows. it was just my observations. i was hoping for much better and was disapointed when leaving the theater (along with lots of ppl in the theater with us. we all said "yeah right" in unison, at the end. it was actually kinda funny).

Mama Reg said...

first, a very belated yet happy happy birthday to you! yay a date. yeah i feel ya, 10:30 is late for us too lol.

im not a fan of GDs either. yeah i use cuss words...lol. but not that one!

im not a fan of gruesome movies either. i like, literally get a stomach ache if theres too much blood!

all in all i hope you had a great night out for your birthday!

cdefinbaugh said...

Travis bought the book on our vacation and he can't put it down!!